Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bailey's back on Soy....No longer a stinky face

The past few weeks, Bailey has been the subject of a big research project.  We have been running experiments on her in an attempt to cure the dreaded "spit up."  We went from breast milk, to breast milk mixed with thickened formula, to soy formula, to simethicone (gas ex), to Milk of magnesia, to Alimentum.  And let me tell ya...that Alimentum formula is nasty stuff.  You have never smelled or tasted such a horrible substance.  And yet Bailey has taken all of this in stride...and yes, she still spits up.  But we abandoned the Alimentum yesterday after discussing it with her pediatrician.  Alimentum is designed for babies with colic.  Bailey doesn't have colic, she has reflux.  So we got her back onto a soy based formula, and we are all much happier.  We also have her on some Maalox which seems to help as well.  We now have a "happy spitter,"  which is way better than a "fussy/stinky spitter."

I like to read her a story called "I love you Stinky Face."  For the past week or so, while she was on Alimentum, she was truely a stinky face.  I am just glad that we don't have to give her that stuff any more.  Now I can read her that story and not have it be so literal.  

No comments: